Sunday, March 14

Bikes with all the bells and whistles

Bye bye Spring vacation...looks like I'm getting a new bike!

Wowzers.  There are a lot of bikes out there.  I attended a bike clinic on Saturday afternoon at Bicycle Pro Shop in Alexandria.  We got a full run down on the differences between road bikes and triathlon bikes, different components and different price points.  Everyone has an opinion and a preference when it comes to this stuff.  As you can imagine, my price point started increasing as I learned more and more.

They even sized us up and got us out out on bikes.  Two of the girls in our group ordered bikes.  I'm still looking at some possibilities.  I will admit that I found a beautiful Cannondale road bike.  See Cannondale Six.  It is just beautiful.  I do wish this version came in the blue/white/black version, but the black/gray/white is pretty bad ass.  Apparently this version is "much more aggressive" which scared me a bit, but apparently it just means that it is structured to put you in a better and more "forward" position on the bike which ultimately where you wanna be anyway.  It is all such a science. 

Since I am completely clueless about road biking and it is my weakest event, I am all for doing it right from the beginning.  The good thing is that at least I do not yet have any bad habits to undo. 

There are also all these accessories that will have to be added --- including triathlon shorts/shirts, appropriate helmet, clips and shoes.  The shoes actually scare me.  See Bike Shoes. The idea of being clipped into my peddles is scary.  EVERYONE has said that you will fall.  You'll just forget to unclip your shoes when you come to a stop and will fall over.  I don't want to fall over!

I'm going to go back to the store to be properly sized now that I know that a Cannondale is likely going to be my bike of choice.  The guys at the bike shop want to see if they can get me onto the smallest men's frame and that will take some time for them to figure out by doing more measurements.

No comments: