Each Saturday I hit my personal best distance! Today we logged 6 miles...really it was 5.82, but we'll just round up on this one.
This was our first week starting at 7:30 AM. We are starting earlier to ensure that we are not running in the bright morning sun and humidity.
As usual, we started out from the Georgetown Running Company store and headed over the Key Bridge. Once we got to Rossalyn we hooked a right and connected onto the Custis Trail --- aka "the Cuss This Freakin' Trail." The trail runs somewhat parallel to Route 66 and links into a bunch of neighborhoods along the way.
I knew this trail would be challenging, but did not believe I would experience my first "hit the wall" moment. The first 7 minutes on the trail were miserable!
The trail is a progressive incline for 3 miles. There's no easing into it.
In addition there are rolling hills, zig-zaggy hills and steep inclines. It was a mental challenge to keep myself focused and pushing forward.
The first 2 miles were SO hard. It's a total mental game b/c you can't possibly be physically tired yet. It's clearly the idea that the hills just keep coming and you can't see the end that gets to me.
The slacker in me was chattering away in my head during this part of the run. He was saying, "hey, let's just stop and walk a couple of these hills." The key is to find a way to shut this guy up!
Once I got close to the 3 mile turnaround point something just clicked. I was in a zone and was able to motor through the last set of hills, make the turn and make my way back down the progressive decent.
I really think getting into the zone has to do with confidence. There's something about pushing through the mental piece and seeing that you are surviving that gets you psyched to just do it, stop being such a baby and finish strong.
Having fellow runners around you pushing you forward and faster ones cheering you on as they pass by really makes a difference.
A key moment for me today was running up a progressive hill and then turning a corner to see an intimidating three-part zigzag hill. I was nervous as we approached the challenge.
As we hit the zigzag hill, another runner running down the hill past our group started clapping and yelling out some motivating words. She wasn't a part of our running group, but the simple words of this stranger helped keep our legs pumping until we made it to the top. I swear...it's the little things that keep you going.
Luckily, I hooked up with Coach Phen whose pace is close to mine. She's a perfect partner --- consistent pace, a little chatty but not too much and won't let you quit. She's also running the Army 10-miler this year so we were talking about trying to run the race together --- 2 Asian chicks rockin' the run!
All in all, today was a confidence builder. I felt so proud racing across the Key Bridge and into Georgetown. Wahooooo!
Above is a picture of where we meet on Saturdays. There are usually 20 runners in our group and we crowd around this corner before and after our run.
I'm heading to California for work next week. I am sad to miss my organized runs this week, but will bring my gear and put in my miles on my own. California...here I come!!

No comments:
Post a Comment