Thursday, June 9

Follow the yellow brick road...or at least the Gold one

Who knew that the best thing I could have done was join the local Gold's Gym. Within two visits I have already established some serious local connections.

First, during spin class I introduced myself to a dude wearing an Ironman finishers t-shirt. He trains year-round for races across the US and is coached by someone locally. He told me about local hook-ups and a bit about the local tri scene.

Second, Mr. Ironman also gave me contact information for his wife's bootcamp and yoga classes over on Fenwick Isalnd. Score! (see http://www.hipaha.com/). Ms. Bootcamp is also a triathelete who in her spare time runs this bootcamp/yoga thing.

I emailed Ms. Bootcamp and as a result have connections for:
  • daily bootcamp and yoga classes that are held on the beach

  • weekly Stand Up Paddle board classes --- Ms. Bootcamp is a paddler and teaches classes in conjunction with the local kayak, sunfish, paddle board rental place. Small world b/c I was just chatting up the folks at this shop about the different things they offer throughout the summer.

  • informal triathlon hook-ups that include runs, bikes, bricks and ocean swim workouts.
Third, while at the gym the manager told me about a group of local runners who hold informal runs twice a week. I emailed the coaches and they are already looking forward to my arrival. Bonus that they seem to have formal workouts and routes.

And finally, one of the older Gold's Gym rats gave me the low-down about all the classes and instructors.

Information is definitely power and sweet lord I have hit the mother-load!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! I've been teaching for Gold's for 4+ years and a member for, well, let's just say TOO long, but I'm so glad you're loving it! *Amy

Pauline said...

I had no idea! The instructors down here are very good. Bonus that they are in the process of expanding and in a few weeks with have a brand new studio.